Checklist for U.S. Depositions in France
The requirements for taking U.S. depositions in France are straightforward and easy to follow using the Planet Depos checklist specific to France.
Allowing enough time (roughly between 4-6 weeks is ideal) for scheduling depositions overseas is extremely important because of the logistics associated with the scheduling and planning processes. However, with teams living on-the-ground throughout Europe, we are often able to cover last-minute requests.
Counsel will determine whether their witness is willing to be deposed. If so, both parties can agree to stipulate the oath and begin the process of setting up the deposition.
France is a party to The Hague Evidence Convention and requires foreign attorneys to provide advance notice and obtain permission from the French Central Authority to take depositions. If you need assistance, contact the Planet Depos International Scheduling Department.
For specific information, please consult the U.S. State Department for Judicial Assistance.
- Select the deposition services needed:
- U.S.-trained court reporter
- U.S.-trained legal videographer
- Any language interpreter
- What is the location of the deposition in France?
- Do you need Planet Depos to reserve a conference room for you?
- If not participating in person, do you require videoconferencing services? (If not, please skip to the next item on the checklist).
- Do you need a location in France?
- Will you need a location in the United States?
- Can you attend from your firm’s videoconference suite?
- Ask about Planet Depos’ Mobile Videoconferencing capabilities!
- Document Production
- Do you need assistance with exhibit printing?
- Select your deposition date
- Start time
- End time
- Visa Restrictions:
- Make travel arrangements
- Contact Planet Depos for information about corporate discounts with our partner hotels
- Car rental
- Send a protective order to Planet Depos for representatives to sign (if applicable)
- Have you filled out the Planet Depos Standing Order Form? It’s an easy process that takes less than 60 seconds and will let us know:
- Transcript turnaround time (regular or expedited)
- Who should receive the Rough ASCII and final transcript
- The number of realtime laptops that are needed
- Preferred video format (DVD, MPEG1, Loaded DVD, Synchronized Viewer)
- Send out Notice of Deposition to all counsel, your witness, and Planet Depos
- Send prep materials to Planet Depos for reporter’s deposition preparation:
- Notice of deposition
- Previous transcript(s)
- Word index
- Obtain emergency contact information for Planet Depos representatives
- Provide emergency contact information for counsel
Travel safely to France and contact Planet Depos with any questions once you’ve arrived!
Did you know? The official name of France is “French Republic.”