Checklist for U.S. Depositions in India
The requirements for taking U.S. depositions in India are straightforward and easy to follow using the Planet Depos checklist specific to India.
India is party to the Hague Convention, which means that taking a U.S. deposition of voluntary witnesses can occur without prior approval from the Indian Central Authority. Allowing enough time (roughly between 4-6 weeks is ideal) for scheduling depositions in India is extremely important because of the logistics associated with the scheduling and planning processes. However, as the only firm with teams living on-the-ground throughout Europe and Asia, we are often able to cover last-minute requests.
Counsel will determine whether their witness is willing to be deposed. If so, both parties can stipulate and begin the process of setting up the deposition. For specific information pertaining to taking depositions in India, please consult the U.S. Embassy’s website for Judicial Assistance.
- Select the deposition services needed:
- U.S.-trained court reporter
- U.S.-trained legal videographer
- Any language interpreter
- What is the location of the deposition in India?
- Do you need Planet Depos to reserve a conference room for you?
- If not participating in person, do you require videoconferencing services? (If not, please skip to the next item on the checklist).
- Do you need a location in India?
- Will you need a location in the United States?
- Can you attend from your firm’s videoconference suite?
- Ask about Planet Depos’ Mobile Videoconferencing capabilities!
- Document Production
- Do you need assistance with exhibit printing?
- Select your deposition date
- Start time
- End time
- Visa Restrictions: There are special visa requirements for travel to India. For more information, contact Planet Depos’ International Scheduling Department.
- Make travel arrangements
- Car rental
- Contact Planet Depos for information about corporate discounts with our partner hotels
- Send a protective order to Planet Depos for representatives to sign (if applicable)
- Have you filled out the Planet Depos Standing Order Form? It’s an easy process that takes less than 60 seconds and will let us know:
- Transcript turnaround time (regular or expedited)
- Who should receive the Rough ASCII and final transcript
- The number of realtime laptops that are needed
- Preferred video format (DVD, MPEG1, Loaded DVD, Synchronized Viewer)
- Send out Notice of Deposition to all counsel, your witness, and Planet Depos
- Send prep materials to Planet Depos for reporter’s deposition preparation:
- Notice of deposition
- Answer to Complaint
- Previous transcript(s)
- Word index
- Obtain emergency contact information for Planet Depos representatives
- Provide emergency contact information of counsel
Travel safely to the India and contact Planet Depos with any questions once you’ve arrived!
Planet Depos is the only international court reporting company with U.S. trained and certified court reporters who actually live in Asia. To demonstrate our commitment to Asia, Planet Depos has registered offices throughout Asia. Further, there are no travel expenses for court reporters or videographers.