Checklist for U.S. Depositions in Germany
The requirements for taking U.S. depositions in Germany are straightforward and easy to follow using the Planet Depos checklist specific to Germany depositions.
Germany is a party to The Hague Evidence Convention and requires foreign attorneys to provide advance notice and obtain permission from the government to take depositions. This process takes approximately 6 weeks. If you need assistance, contact the Planet Depos International Scheduling Department.
For specific information pertaining to taking depositions in Germany, please consult the U.S. State Department for Judicial Assistance.
- Select the deposition services needed:
- U.S.-trained court reporter
- U.S.-trained legal videographer
- Any language interpreter
- What is the location of the deposition in Germany?
- Do you need Planet Depos to reserve a conference room for you?
- If not participating in person, do you require videoconferencing services? (If not, please skip to the next item on the checklist).
- Do you need a location in Germany?
- Will you need a location in the United States?
- Can you attend from your firm’s videoconference suite?
- Ask about Planet Depos’ Mobile Videoconferencing capabilities!
- Document Production
- Do you need assistance with exhibit printing?
- Select your deposition date
- Start time
- End time
- Visa Restrictions:
- There is no visa required for travel to Germany at this time; however, your passport must be valid for 90 days beyond your intended period of stay. It is highly recommended that you have at least 6-months’ validity past the point of your return to the U.S. on your passport for travel to any European country. For more information, please consult the U.S. State Department or contact Planet Depos’ International Scheduling Department.
- Make travel arrangements
- Contact Planet Depos for information about corporate discounts with our partner hotels
- Car rental
- Send a protective order to Planet Depos for representatives to sign (if applicable)
- Have you filled out the Planet Depos Standing Order Form? It’s an easy process that takes less than 60 seconds and will let us know:
- Transcript turnaround time (regular or expedited)
- Who should receive the Rough ASCII and final transcript
- The number of realtime laptops that are needed
- Preferred video format (DVD, MPEG1, Loaded DVD, Synchronized Viewer)
- Send out Notice of Deposition to all counsel, your witness, and Planet Depos
- Send prep materials to Planet Depos for reporter’s deposition preparation:
- Notice of deposition
- Previous transcript(s)
- Word index
- Obtain emergency contact information for Planet Depos representatives
- Provide emergency contact information for counsel
Travel safely to the Germany and contact Planet Depos with any questions once you’ve arrived!
Did you know? The official name of Germany is “Federal Republic of Germany.”