Checklist for U.S. Depositions in Hong Kong
Hong Kong is often used as the location for depositions of willing witnesses from China, since depositions in China are not permitted. Depositions of voluntary witnesses in Hong Kong do not necessitate government involvement and are straightforward using the Planet Depos checklist. Allow enough time (ideally, 2 to 3 weeks) for scheduling due to associated logistical challenges. Counsel will determine whether the witness is willing to be deposed. If so, both parties can stipulate and begin the process of setting up the deposition.
If the witness is unwilling to be deposed and must be compelled to testify, a letter rogatory is required. For more information, visit the International Judicial Assistance Website for the Bureau of Consular Affairs.
- Determine the Planet Depos services needed:
- If not participating in person, do you require videoconferencing services? (If not, please skip to the next item on the checklist)
- Do you need a location in Hong Kong?
- Will you need a location in the United States?
- Can you attend from your firm’s videoconference suite?
- Do you need assistance with exhibit printing, document production, or other services abroad?
- Ask about Planet Depos’ mobile videoconferencing capabilities
- Select your deposition date, starting time and ending time. (Remember to note time zone!)
- Notice of deposition
- Answer to Complaint
- Previous transcript(s)
- Word index
- Provide contact information for counsel who will be attending, such as hotel or cell phone number
- Travel safely to Hong Kong and contact Planet Depos with any questions once you’ve arrived!