Checklist for U.S. Depositions in Portugal
The requirements for taking U.S. depositions in Portugal are straightforward and easy to follow using the Planet Depos checklist specific to Portugal.
Allowing enough time (roughly between 4-6 weeks is ideal) for scheduling depositions in Portugal is extremely important because of the logistics associated with the scheduling and planning processes. However, with teams living on-the-ground throughout Europe, we are often able to cover last-minute requests.
Counsel will determine whether their witness is willing to be deposed. If so, both parties can agree to stipulate the oath and begin the process of setting up the deposition.
Portugal is a party to The Hague Evidence Convention. Prior approval for taking the deposition of a willing witness is required from the Portuguese Central Authority. If you need assistance, contact the Planet Depos International Scheduling Department.
For specific information pertaining to taking depositions in Portugal, please consult the U.S. State Department for Judicial Assistance.
Select the deposition services needed for your deposition(s):
- U.S.-trained court reporter
- U.S.-trained legal videographer
- Any language interpreter
What is the location of the deposition in Portugal?
- Do you need Planet Depos to reserve a conference room for you?
- If not participating in person, do you require videoconferencing services? (If not, please skip to the next item on the checklist).
- Do you need a location in Portugal?
Will you need a location in the United States?
Can you attend from your firm’s videoconference suite?
- Ask about Planet Depos’ Mobile Videoconferencing capabilities!
- Do you need assistance with exhibit printing?
- Select your deposition date
- There are no special visa requirements for travel to Portugal at this time; however, your passport must be valid for 90 days beyond your intended period of stay. It is highly recommended that you have at least 6-months’ validity past the point of your return to the U.S. on your passport for travel to any European country. For more information, please consult the U.S. State Department or contact Planet Depos’ International Scheduling Department.
Make travel arrangements
- Contact Planet Depos for information about corporate discounts with our partner hotels
- Car rental
Send a protective order to Planet Depos for representatives to sign (if applicable)
Have you filled out the Planet Depos Standing Order Form? It’s an easy process that takes less than 60 seconds and will let us know:
Transcript turnaround time (regular or expedited)
Who should receive the Rough ASCII and final transcript
The number of realtime laptops that are needed
Preferred video format (DVD, MPEG1, Loaded DVD, Synchronized Viewer)
- Send out Notice of Deposition to all counsel, your witness, and Planet Depos
- Send prep materials to Planet Depos for reporter’s deposition preparation:
Notice of deposition
- Previous transcript(s)
- Word index
Obtain emergency contact information for Planet Depos representatives
Provide emergency contact information of counsel
Travel safely to Portugal and contact Planet Depos with any questions once you’ve arrived!
Did you know? The official name of Portugal is “Portuguese Republic.”