Checklist for U.S. Depositions in Taiwan
With teams living in Taiwan, Planet Depos regularly covers depositions in Taipei, Hsinchu, Kaohsiung and Taitung. Depositions may be taken without government involvement and is straightforward using the Planet Depos checklist specific to Taiwan. It is important to allow enough time (ideally, 2 to 3 weeks) for scheduling due to associated logistical challenges. However, as the only firm with teams living on the ground in Taiwan, we are often able to cover last-minute requests. Counsel will determine whether the witness is willing to be deposed. If so, both parties can stipulate and begin the process of setting up the deposition.
If the witness is unwilling to be deposed and must be compelled to testify, a letter rogatory is required. For more information, visit the International Judicial Assistance Website for the Bureau of Consular Affairs
- Determine the Planet Depos services needed:
- U.S.-trained court reporter (stenographer)
- U.S.-trained legal videographer
- Mandarin or Cantonese interpreter
- Local exhibit printing, delivery and shredding
- Conference room(s)
- If not participating in person, do you require videoconferencing services? (If not, please skip to the next item on the checklist)
- Do you need a location in Taiwan?
- Can you attend from your firm’s videoconference suite or do you need a location in the U.S.?
- Ask about Planet Depos’ Mobile Videoconferencing capabilities!
- Select your deposition date, starting time and ending time (Remember to note time zone!)
- Make your travel arrangements
- Send protective order to Planet Depos for representatives to sign (if applicable)
- Fill out the Planet Depos Standing Order Form to ensure we fulfill all your needs
- Send Notice of Deposition to all counsel, the witness and Planet Depos
- Send prep materials to Planet Depos for reporter’s preparation:
- Notice of deposition
- Answer to Complaint
- Previous transcript(s)
- Word index
- Provide contact information for counsel who will be attending, such as hotel or cell phone number
Travel safely to Taiwan and contact Planet Depos with any questions once you’ve arrived!