Checklist for U.S. Depositions in the United Kingdom
(England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
The requirements for taking U.S. depositions in the United Kingdom are straightforward and easy to follow using Planet Depos’ checklist specific to U.K. depositions.
Allowing a good amount of time (roughly between 4-6 weeks is ideal) for scheduling overseas depositions, but many times, with the constantly evolving logistics associated with taking a deposition, last minute scheduling is necessary and something we at Planet Depos are accustomed to handling.
Counsel will need to determine whether or not their witness is willing to be deposed. If so, both parties can agree to stipulate the oath and begin the process of setting up the deposition.
The United Kingdom is a party to The Hague Evidence Convention. Prior approval is not required to take a deposition of a willing witness. If the witness is unwilling to be deposed and is in need of being compelled to testify, a subpoena by Order of the High Court of London is required. If you need assistance, contact the Planet Depos International Scheduling Department.
For specific information, please consult the U.S. State Department for Judicial Assistance.
- Select the deposition services needed:
- U.S.-trained court reporter
- U.S.-trained legal videographer
- Any language interpreter
- What is the location of the deposition in the U.K.?
- Do you need Planet Depos to reserve a conference room for you?
- If not participating in person, do you require videoconferencing services? (If not, please skip to the next item on the checklist).
- Do you need a location in the U.K.?
- Will you need a location in the United States?
- Can you attend from your firm’s videoconference suite?
- Ask about Planet Depos’ Mobile Videoconferencing capabilities!
- Document Production
- Do you need assistance with exhibit printing?
- Select your deposition date
- Start time
- End time
- Visa Restrictions:
- There is no visa required for travel to the United Kingdom at this time. It is highly recommended that you have at least 6-months’ validity past the point of your return to the U.S. on your passport for travel to any European country. For more information, please consult the U.S. State Department or contact Planet Depos’ International Team.
- Make travel arrangements
- Contact Planet Depos for information about corporate discounts with our partner hotels
- Car rental
- Send a protective order to Planet Depos for representatives to sign (if applicable)
- Have you filled out the Planet Depos Standing Order Form? It’s an easy process that takes less than 60 seconds and will let us know:
- Transcript turnaround time (regular or expedited)
- Who should receive the Rough ASCII and final transcript
- The number of realtime laptops that are needed
- Preferred video format (DVD, MPEG1, Loaded DVD, Synchronized Viewer)
- Send out Notice of Deposition to all counsel, your witness, and Planet Depos
- Send prep materials to Planet Depos for reporter’s deposition preparation:
- Notice of deposition
- Previous transcript(s)
- Word index
- Obtain emergency contact information for Planet Depos representatives
- Provide emergency contact information of counsel
Travel safely to the United Kingdom and contact Planet Depos with any questions once you’ve arrived!
*Planet Depos Court Etiquette Tip: Always refer to the Sheriff as, “My Lord” and remember to bow when the judge enters the court if you’re in a Crown Court.
Did you know? The United Kingdom’s official name is “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.”