Checklist for U.S. Depositions in the UAE
The United Arab Emirates does not recognize depositions as we do in the United States but many U.S. depositions take place there. Planet Depos has extensive experience providing litigation support and has created the below checklist for your ease and convenience.
Allowing enough time (roughly between 4-6 weeks is ideal) for scheduling depositions in the UAE is extremely important because of the logistics associated with the scheduling and planning processes. However, as the only firm with teams living on the ground in the UAE, we are often able to cover last-minute requests.
- Counsel will determine whether or not their witness is willing to be deposed. If so, both parties can stipulate mutually and begin the process of setting up the deposition
- Select the deposition services needed:
- U.S.-trained court reporter
- U.S.-trained legal videographer
- What is the location of the deposition in the UAE?
- Do you need Planet Depos to reserve a conference room for you?
- If not participating in person, do you require videoconferencing services? (If not, please skip to the next item on the checklist)
- Do you need a location in the UAE?
- Will you need a location in the United States?
- Can you attend from your firm’s videoconference suite?
- Ask about Planet Depos’ Mobile Videoconferencing capabilities!
- Document Production
- Do you need assistance with exhibit printing?
- Select your deposition date
- Start time
- End time
- Visa Restrictions: A tourist or business visa is required for travel to the UAE. Contact Planet Depos for visa assistance
- Make travel arrangements
- Contact Planet Depos for information about corporate discounts with our partner hotels
- Car rental
- Send protective order to Planet Depos for representatives to sign (if applicable)
- Have you filled out the Planet Depos Standing Order Form? It’s an easy process that takes less than 60 seconds and will let us know:
- Transcript turnaround time (regular or expedited)
- Who should receive the Rough ASCII and final transcript
- The number of realtime laptops that are needed
- Preferred video format (DVD, MPEG1, Loaded DVD, Synchronized Viewer)
- Send out Notice of Deposition to all counsel, your witness, and Planet Depos
- Send prep materials to Planet Depos for reporter’s deposition preparation:
- Notice of deposition
- Answer to Complaint
- Previous transcript(s)
- Word index
- Obtain emergency contact information for Planet Depos representatives
- Provide emergency contact information of counsel
Travel safely to the UAE and contact Planet Depos with any questions once you’ve arrived!
Planet Depos is the only international court reporting company with U.S. trained and certified court reporters who actually live in Asia. To demonstrate our commitment to Asia, Planet Depos has registered offices throughout Asia. Further, there are no travel expenses for court reporters or videographers.