By Neal Price
During the month of May, the United States of America celebrates Asian-American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. We take the time during this month to honor the impact that Asian-Pacific Americans have had throughout our history as a country and the impact that this people-group continues to make on our great nation.
Below are some facts about Asian-Pacific Heritage Month you might not already know.
- On October 5, 1978, President Jimmy Carter signed a Joint Resolution setting the first 10 days of May as Asian-Pacific Heritage Week. In 1990, President George H.W. Bush expanded the week-long celebration into the entire month of May.
- The month of May was chosen because it commemorates the immigration of the first Japanese to the United States in 1843.
- The Transcontinental Railroad was completed in May of 1869 through the work of mostly Chinese immigrants.
- The number of Asian immigrants to the United States continues to increase through various pieces of legislation that eases the process. From 5 million in 1990, the number more than doubled by 2009, reaching 10.6 million.
- The theme for 2015’s celebration is “Many Cultures, One Voice: Promote Equality and Inclusion.”
- Originally known as “Asian-Pacific Heritage Month.”
Ways to participate in “Asian-American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month:”
- Celebrate –
- Find a local festival or celebration in your city and experience the wonderful traditions and cultures being represented. What better way to learn another culture than to party with them and have loads of fun!
- Communicate –
- Instead of simply eating at an Asian-American-owned restaurant, talk to the owner to learn their story;
- Ask questions of your Asian-American friends to learn their perspective and how their race affects their lives on a daily basis;
- Tell a non-Asian-American that it is Asian-American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month! Spread the knowledge and involve others in this great celebration month.
As the only court reporting firm with registered offices in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan, Planet Depos is proud to celebrate and honor Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders!